Friday, October 8, 2010

iCandy - Severance Celebration Edition

Happy Friday everyone! and for me it's super HAPPY! Today's iCANDY feature is meant to be inspirational and is very near and dear to my this week.

You see...for the past few years, well actually ever since I first started InkSpot Workshop in April, 2008, I've secretly had a bad case of Severance Package Envy! InkSpot Workshop has been my side business, while I have been a full time Medical Sales rep for a large medical device manufacturing company (can't name until after the end of the month). It seemed like a rare occurrence for medical device sales people to get laid off in this industry so when other internal people in my company would get severance packages I would secretly feel envious and wish it were me. It's not that I didn't like my job of 9 years or the people and customers I worked with, it's just that I really wanted to be making pretty paper goodies instead:) I never meshed my two worlds together (paper and needles) but there were several sales calls when I just wanted to shout at the nurses...."hey ladies, you think this iv catheter is neat? let me show you my line of stationery" :)

Then there was the tremendous guilt! The guilt of having a very good sales job, the type of job people always had their friends call you about to see how they could "get into the business" but wishing you didn't have. The guilt from having a very good job that you really didn't want, but were so good at doing, when so many other people in the country are losing jobs left and right. The guilt from cutting your day short to take care of customer's invitation orders, when you could have made one more sales call. Ugh! guilt is really such a burden. I won't even mention the toll leading a double life was taking on my family.

On Wednesday of this week my secret wish came true! My company like so many others out there had to reduce head count in order to make a profit for the shareholders and you know what? I completely understand that. It's one of the risks you take working for a large, publicly held company. When I got the call (along with 24 others) I seriously was doing a tap dance while on the call. The sky got bluer and the trees instantly got greener and I felt like the hugest weight ever had been lifted off my chest. I could now stop living this double life and be truly dedicated, 100% to growing InkSpot Workshop! I must also mention the fact my husband who also is in medical sales is super supportive and has made me feel at ease about this decision. Of course he enjoyed my paycheck which contributed 50% to our total income but he also has seen InkSpot Workshop grow, plus my stress associated with keeping a double life and knows if anyone can make a business work, it's ME!

Right now I want to leave you with the inspiration that living your dream CAN happen, not to mention watch what you wish for because someone obviously is listening:) I plan on writing a Part II on this subject where I give some advice for those of you currently working and help you to plan your "exit strategy" now that hind sight really is 20/20. I understand not everyone is fortunate enough like me to receive a severance package after 9 years of service, so I'll try to make sure that post comes from a different perspective.

Oh Happy Day! Thanks to all of you who have made InkSpot Workshop a profitable success and all of this possible for me. Guess you could say....SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED A LITTLE SHOVE TO DO WHAT YOU LVE!

1. Collage Poster - Green Nest, $14.00
2. Super Mug - My Other Little Shop, GA $23.00
3. Silver Pendant Necklace - Lisa Hopkins, IN $68.00
4. Notebook - Honey Design Books, New Zealand, $6.50
5. Matchbook Doodle Pads - Monkey Mind Design, CO $6.00
6. Wall Decal - Whirlibird, IL $24.50

final signature

12 comments:

Deb said...

Stacy - Your husband is absolutely right... You WILL do it! I know it's somewhat bittersweet - but so is the best-tasting chocolate! I'm so happy that you are turning a new corner. You are already a success, so here's to more! So happy for you! xo

A Few of My Favorite Things said...

Stacy, I've been dreaming of a severance package for quite a while now, too, so I can only imagine how excited you must be! I'm sure this new journey will have its challenges but I have no doubt that in the end, it will all be worth it. Wishing you all the best!

Rosanne said...

So happy for you! Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

On #4-Love what you do, can you tell me what font that is?

THanks! LOVE these!!

Courtney @ Pizzazzerie said...

As someone who too felt guilty having a secure, professional job but wanting to leave it to work on the side job that was just MUCH more fun - I knew how you felt. WELCOME TO THE FUN SIDE :)

Inkspot Workshop said...

My heart truly has been warmed by everyone's well wishes this week. It's tremendous supporters like you that make me more than thrilled to see what the future will bring. Thank You!!

Anonymous said...

When I read your article it made me jealous! I am in the same position working for a large pharma company, everything you described hit home. I even raised my hand last time and here I remain. It's so hard to walk away from a "great" job but I would feel completely justified if I were handed that golden package. I bet the air even smelled sweeter after that fateful phone call! Good luck with your full-time business.

Save the Date for Cupcakes said...

I worked in the medical field for over 13 yrs, and I can say I love pretty paper goodies wayyy better than needles;)

Congrats, Stacy! I hope this means more delicious tweets and posts from you now too;)

Grace said...

Congratulations to you, Stacy! I am absolutely thrilled for you to be able to devote all your time to Inkspot and do what you love.

Michelle@Everyday Celebrating said...

So excited for you!!!! This is YOUR time! Rock it out!

Ivona@SugarsticksParties said...

Stacy, I'm in a job where I probably shouldn't expect a severance but other than that everything you said I have been thinking :) I am so happy for you that you are able to do what you love 100% of the time... and fingers crossed I will join you on the other side soon :) Truly, the best of luck!

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful! Congratulations, you're definitely gonna be an amazing success, you already are and it's only going to get better.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin